Spring is the perfect season to hold an engagement party outdoors. Since the temperatures are not too hot nor too cold, your guests will feel comfortable in an outdoor setting just as they would indoors. Now, when it comes to organizing an outdoor engagement party, spring decor is everything. Not only does it set the mood at the party but it also elevates the venue. However, not everyone has a ton of money to spend on decor.
So in the following post, I have rounded up 10 spring decor ideas suitable for engagement parties. Before we dive in though, here are some commonly asked questions about spring decor:
- How do you decorate for spring on a budget?
- How do you plan an outdoor engagement party?
- How to throw a backyard engagement party
How do you decorate for spring on a budget?
When spring rolls around, it’s tempting to spend a huge chunk of money decorating your home. But, you shouldn’t as there are several hacks that can help you save money.
One money-saving tip is to decorate using locally-sourced fresh flowers. When you visit your grocery store during spring, you’re likely to find a ton of flowers on discount. You know, the flowers that are barely drooping so they get thrown out or sold at a discount.
Another way to save money is to create decor pieces from scratch using readily-available materials. Let’s say that you have some terracotta pots lying around. You can spruce them up with a little bit of white paint, then use them as flower vases.
How do you plan an outdoor engagement party?
Having a successful engagement party outdoors requires meticulous planning. Here’s a quick guide to help you through this:
- Choose a date
- Set the budget
- Pick a venue
- Create the guest list
- Send out the invites
- Figure out the menu and decor
- Delegate duties for the main day activities
How to throw a backyard engagement party
Are you planning to hold a surprise engagement party for your partner or friend? If you are, here are a few activities that shouldn’t miss from your to-do list:
- Setting the ambience – the beauty of having such an outdoor event is that the natural landscape plays a big role in creating the ambience. But, that’s not all. You’ll still want to provide fixtures that can enhance the ambience like stylish lighting fixtures.
- Have ample seating – another aspect that you shouldn’t skimp on is the seating area. Do some research beforehand to determine how many guests will attend. This way, you can figure out the number of seats to get.
- Offer multiple sources of entertainment – since the engagement party will be held in your backyard, you can incorporate a ton of lawn games for your guests to participate in.
- Customize seasonal cocktails – there’s no better way to greet your guests than with spring-inspired cocktails. If your backyard is filled with spring flowers, you come up with cocktails of a similar hue. Or even create a tasting station.
- Work with experienced vendors – if you’ll outsource some of the activities, then look for vendors who have a proven track record.
Top 10 Cheap Spring Decorating Ideas
1. Wooden signs
Besides, wooden signs are extremely versatile. Most people typically use them to give directions to different events: yard games, eating spots or photo booths. But you can also use them to display a funny message, such as “guess who got engaged?”
2. Mason jars
Not only are mason jars incredibly cheap, they’re also versatile. They come in a wide range of colors and sizes. This makes it easy to find ones that blend in with the rest of your engagement decor. You can then use them to display unique flower arrangements or photos.
3. Potted plants
Another budget-friendly way to decorate your outdoor engagement party is using potted plants.
You can arrange small-sized potted plants on either side of the pathway. Or go for bigger potted plants and can create a backdrop for your event. And, you don’t even have to dispose of them afterwards. Just add them to your plant collection.
4. Vintage bottles
Do you have some vintage bottles collecting dust in your attic? With a little bit of cleaning, they’ll make excellent display items like photos or flowers. Even better, you can set up a few bottles on each table or group them in a crate to create a single centerpiece.
5. Campfire place
Planning to have your engagement party in the evening? Then a campfire place provides both decorative and functional benefits. Once the major event comes to an end, guests can wind down at a cozy campfire setting.
6. DIY Photo Booth
Nowadays, nearly every event has a photo booth. And while your engagement party shouldn’t be an exception, taking a DIY approach can save you a few bucks.
7. Hanging Photos
Another way to decorate your outdoor party on a budget is to hang pictures. Use photos that showcase the journey that you and your partner took to get to that point. To make this a focal point, hang them using some light-up pegs.
8. Repurpose a vintage truck
The secret to saving money on spring engagement decor is repurposing things that you already have. So if you have a vintage pickup that you don’t drive anymore, you can use it as a wedding display. Arrange buckets filled with well-arranged flowers or use it to display the seating chart.
9. Improvised Arch
A wedding or engagement arch doesn’t come cheap. And that cost doesn’t even include the amount you’ll spend buying flowers to spruce it up.
To save money, you can create your own version of an arch by arranging wooden ladders to form an arch. Once the arch is all set, you can then place potted plants on each step. It’s simple but just as elegant as a modern arch.
10. String Lights
Despite being so cheap, string lights instantly transform any outdoor space; making it feel cozier and warmer. Besides, they’re great for illuminating an area once the sun sets.
Additional Backyard Decor Ideas
- A long banquet-style table – Want to make your engagement party feel more welcoming? You can achieve this by setting up a wooden banquet-style table.
- Haystack seating – skip the conventional chairs and tables, and have your guests sit on bales of hay. For maximum comfort and color, add a quilt or other fabric on the top.
- Tree trunk photo display – leverage nature by displaying your favorite photos on a tree trunk.
Decorating an outdoor engagement party is no mean feat. However, it doesn’t have to cost a fortune, especially given all the other expenses that you’ll incur. This post highlights several decoration ideas that are sure to save you money.